Today I met a woman with a little girl named “A”…she has Down syndrome and is 7 weeks old.
I am sickened by what this woman told me today in reference to her pregnancy and then birth of her baby. What she was told by the geneticist, her OB/GYN..and the pediatrician in the hospital following A’s birth:
- A team of doctors at the OB/GYN office sat her down and her husband and encouraged her to abort her baby.
- This same team said that one of the reasons is that she would now be responsible for this child 24 hours a day..she would not have a normal life as a mother.
- Her c-section recovery would be worse because her baby has Down syndrome.
- That her infant baby would never react to her as a “typical” baby would. “She will not respond to you..she will not react to you”.
- And this mom needs to go back to work…she is crying as she is telling me this..she said “I have to go back we need the medical insurance, but they told me that no-one would ever watch my baby and that she could never be in daycare”.
- The OB/GYN’s office encouraged the abortion and said it would be covered..and that it made more sense as it would be less expensive than the medical expenses following the birth.
OMG!….I sat there with this mama for almost 2 hours…thinking of my friend Christine..and telling A’s mama: “it is better than you think”…and how much joy her baby will bring her…and that her baby is just “plus one..minus nothing”. She sobbed in my arms as I left…full of happiness..for all of the good that was to come for her little angel.
How sick that the medical community imprints this in the minds of parents. Spreading awareness is so important…more so for the educated people who actually do not know anything.